[NTG-pdftex] another problem -- of pdftex or gs?

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 22:52:09 CET 2007

Hi Reinhard,

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 09:58:12PM +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> I'm not sure that there is something wrong with the ps file and I'm
> not able to reproduce this with gs-8.01.  However, there are problems
> with other versions.  Some versions hang, so I had to limit CPU time
> in order to ba able to check with all versions I have installed.
>
> [...]
>
> Curiously you get different results depending on -dNOPAUSE and
> -dDEBUG.  I tried with gs-7.22.
>
> [...]
>
> I suppose that gs is so buggy that it doesn't make sense to use it as
> a validator.
>
> Maybe you get another result too if you add -dDEBUG too.
>
> In my opinion gs is too unstable to rely on it.

yes I also got very varying results from gs, depending on
version, configuration and also the output device.
However, I know of another way to check whether a ps file is
valid.

The ps file I uploaded is probably too complex to analyze
what is wrong with it. However I think the problem is that
the ps doesn't contain all the needed fonts -- type3 fonts
from the pdf are missing if they are used in XObject forms
only. I recompiled the pdf with all fonts embedded as type1
or truetype, and then the ps is ok.

> There are two ways to extract and examine Type1 fonts:
>
> 1. My Perl script xtractfonts extracts Type1 fonts from pdf files
>    (using pdftops at the moment but should work with acroread also)
>    and disassembles them using t1diasm.  Adding Eddie's t1lint can be
>    done easily.
>
> 2. pdftosrc can be used to extract objects from a pdf file and Hartmut
>    successfully retrieved some fonts and disassembled them using the
>    t1utils.
>
> I suppose that pdftosrc can be used to extract other things too and
> external programs can be used for validation.

yes probably it's a good idea to extract all fonts from a
pdf and check whether they are ok. I suppose this should not
be hard to do using xpdf sources.

> Thanh, I find http://www.sendspace.com extremely annoying.
>
> Unless you forgot your passwd you can copy files to
> thanh at ms25.ath.cx/public_html and ask people to download them from
> http://ms25.ath.cx/~thanh .

ah, thanks for reminding me that. I will take use of it next
time.

Regards,
Thanh