[NTG-pdftex] [tex-live] Debian TeX -- new packages

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Mon Apr 2 18:10:28 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If everybody links with poppler, poppler should be in the repository,
>>> not xpdf.
>>
>> I have half-finished autoconf magic to make the switch to poppler
>> configurable.  If you volunteer  to finish it, I can send it to you.
>
> Since I am the one complaining, that would definately be fair.
> But before I say yes, how much knowledge would be needed? I know
> only a very little bit about autoconf, and unless there is a good
> manual you can point me to, it could take me a long time to learn.

I don't know much about autoconf, too, and I found the info manual, as
well as other resources, hardly helpful:  They teach you how to use
existing macros, but not how to write new ones.

I tried to prepare a diff of my working directory and normal texlive
dir, but what I didn't remember was that I copied the poppler sources
into the tree (because I thought it would be easier to make the
dynamic-vs-static linking switch first, and xpdf vs poppler later).
Since I am not sure which files in the poppler dir I touched, it doesn't
make much sense to try to diff the trees without remembering what I did
(and I don't have time for this ATM).

Actually, what I did was pretty straightforward: I copied libfoo.ac (I
think foo=png, but I'm not sure) and did simple replaces.  I stopped
when I came to the place were it was necessary to know how to detect
installed poppler header files with autoconf, see above.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)