[NTG-pdftex] Adding a \cscode

Javier Múgica de Rivera javier at digi21.net
Wed Oct 25 18:15:52 CEST 2006

Taco Hoekwater escribió:

> Hi Javier,
>
> Let me start by saying this: If your font is set up correctly for your
> language, not all characters really 'have to' be active. Inputenc.sty
> makes them active so that it can support many encodings, but there is
> no real need for that.
>
> If (for instance) é is in slot 233 of your input encoding, and you use
> a font encoding that has it in slot 233 as well, then it can simply be
> a 'letter', and you could happily use it in a control sequence.
Yes, I know that, but it is very likeky, specialy in some non-latin
scripts, that your input encoding does not match the font encoding. You
may argue that you can remap fonts, but be realistic, how many people
actually now how to do that (and besides, it is still much simpler if
you let the inputenc/fontenc packages do the thing).
> In the future, even with a different font encoding, the need for all
> these characters to be active will disappear completely because future
> versions of pdfTeX will have a separation between characters and font
> glyphs, with a tunable remapping stage inbetween.
That is really good news.

Cheers,
Javier A.