[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Feature Requests-662 ] avoid creating "fixed destination"

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Fri Oct 20 16:59:08 CEST 2006

http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=496&aid=662&group_id=106

Category: None
>Group: v1.50

Initial Comment:
When referencing a non-existing destination, you get
this warning:

! pdfTeX warning (dest): name{<something>} has been
referenced but
  does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

I always like the warning about non-existing
destinations, but sometimes  I'd prefer pdfTeX not to
take action besides issuing a warning-message/I'd
prefer pdfTeX not to create a "fixed" destination.
E.g., when creating several separate pdf-files with
pdfTeX (for later merging them together by means of
external software like "pdftk" or "pdfcat") whereby
the named destination is not known/available when
compiling file A but is available/provided in file B
so that in the result from merging these files,
everything will be fine.

Does it make sense/is it possible to implement some
mechanism for forking if creation of fixed destination
shall be avoided or not?
(Either a new token/primitive similar to \globaldefs
which can be used within TeX source or some command-
line-option which can be specified at the command-line
when running pdfTeX ?)

Sincerely

Ulrich