[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-479 ] Nested links

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Wed Oct 11 11:21:02 CEST 2006

Bugs item #479, was opened at 2006-02-09 17:08
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=479&group_id=106

Category: Annotations
Group: v1.30.0

Initial Comment:
Hello,

Dario Teixeira reported a problem on the pdfTeX
mailing list:

> I have come across an interesting issue with hyperref
> and pdftex.  Whenever one hyperlink is nested inside
> another, the entire remainder of the line is shown
> as an hyperlink.
>
> If you are wondering why on earth would someone want
> to have nested hyperlinks, please take a look at this
> sample document I created; it also displays the
"feature":
> http://www.dse.nl/~dario/misc/nestedlinks.pdf  [50KB]

I consider this as bug in pdfTeX and have
generated a small test file (plain format):

\showboxbreadth=\maxdimen
\showboxdepth=\maxdimen
[part before]
\pdfstartlink goto name{Hello}
[hello start
  \pdfstartlink attr{/C[1 0 0]} goto name{World}
  [inside world]%
  \pdfendlink\space
stop]%
\pdfendlink\space
[part after]\par
\showlists

\vfill\eject
\pdfdest name{Hello}XYZ\relax
Hello
\vfill\eject
\pdfdest name{World}XYZ\relax
World
\end

Three annotations are generated by pdfTeX 1.30.4:

7 0 obj <<
/Type /Annot
/Rect [148.989 757.436 540 767.399]
/Subtype /Link
/A << /S /GoTo /D (Hello) >>
>> endobj
8 0 obj <<
/Type /Annot
/C[1 0 0]
/Rect [199.439 757.436 257.361 767.399]
/Subtype /Link
/A << /S /GoTo /D (World) >>
>> endobj
9 0 obj <<
/Type /Annot
/Rect [257.361 757.436 281.769 767.399]
/Subtype /Link
/A << /S /GoTo /D (Hello) >>
>> endobj

Either there should be two overlapping
annotations or three distinct ones.
At any case "540" in the first rect is too large.

As workaround, the outer/enclosing annotation
can put into a box (\hbox in plain TeX, \mbox
in LaTeX). But it does not solve the problem,
because now the link cannot be broken across
lines.

Therefore the algorithm for annotations needs
to be reviewed and corrected.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>