[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-498 ] pdftex leaves included files opened thus overflowing the ulimit

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Mon Mar 27 00:43:28 CEST 2006

Bugs item #498, was opened at 2006-03-26 23:57
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=498&group_id=106

Category: PDF inclusion
>Group: v1.30.0

Initial Comment:
[re-sending through sarovar bug reporting form]

i'm reporting a bug discovered by Tigran Aivazian:

He got this message:

pdflatex: ./1016.pdf: Too many open files

by running pdflatex on this simple source:

\documentclass[pdftex,a5paper]{book}
\usepackage[papersize={8.5in,11in}]{geometry}
\usepackage{pdfpages}

\begin{document}
\newcount\i
\i=2
\loop
  \ifnum\i<1725
    \includepdf[pages={-}]{\number\i.pdf}%
  \advance\i by1
\repeat

\end{document}

It appears that this is due to the "ulimit" on the
number of
simultaneously opened files which was 1024 by default.
Increasing
"ulimit" allowed to process the file.

But it looks like a bug in pdftex: it seems that it
keeps all the
files which were \includepdf'ed opened, thus causing
this limit to be
reached. Instead, it seems, it should close the
included files.

WDYT?