[NTG-pdftex] Creating identical PDF files with different pdfTeX runs

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Thu Mar 16 21:48:22 CET 2006

Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:

> On 2006-03-15 15:06:43 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
>> > This will only get you so far. If you want to compare PDFs, you
>> > should not test for identical files, but for identical output:
>> > Render the PDF to a bitmap (e.g. with ghostscript) and compare
>> > the generated bitmaps. Otherwise your test will fail whenever the
>> > output of pdfTeX is changed in any way.
>>
>> That's a point; on the other hand, all I get then is glyphs on a page,
>> but the information about the internal structure is lost: hyperlinks,
>> character information (will a search for "fl" find the fl ligature, or
>> will "ü" be pasted correctly?), etc.
>
> How far will you get with the logfile with a suitable combination
> of \tracingoutput etc.?

I don't know; I have never delved into font tracing commands.  I'm also
not sure that this is the best approach, because when we develop a
testing framework, we want it to be extensible and easy to use, even for
e.g. package authors.  If they have a version of their package that
produces a particular pdf feature (like a special internal hyperlink
pointing to exactly the right place), they want to make sure that future
versions don't loose that feature.  For this, a suitable pdf file
comparison is all that's needed.  Parsing the log file might
additionally be helpful to find out what's wrong, but it only works if
the testing framework already considered this feature.

Also, in case I'm one of the developers of this testing framework, I'd
rather concentrate on implementing it cleanly, extensible, maintainable,
etc., and not so much on learning about pdf internals I didn't need up
to now, or pdfTeX-special tracing possibilities.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)