[NTG-pdftex] Creating identical PDF files with different pdfTeX runs

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Mar 16 01:05:34 CET 2006

Sorry, I accidentally sent the previous mail before it was ready.

There is another point I'd like to put on my wish list.

When Knuth developed TeX, he obviously did not take into account that
people want to pipe STDOUT into other programs.

It would be nice to have an option "-q" or "--quiet" which instructs
TeX to suppress any output except what is reqested implicitly by
\write16, for instance.

If you want to determine the number of pages in a particular pdf file,
you can say

 pdftex '\pdfximage page 1 {file.pdf}\write16{\the\pdflastximagepages}\end'

but you get a lot of more or less useless messages and have to filter
the output somehow.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25