[NTG-pdftex] 1.30.7?

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Thu Jun 29 18:33:42 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> � wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the libpng-version we use has a security problem which is fixed in a
>>
> you mean a bug; i always wonder why bugs are called security problem /
> fix; maybe because it sounds friendlier (since such risks originat efrom
> the outside world) -)

I think they are treated as a security issue if they allow a DoS attack
or executing malicious code etc.  It doesn't sound friendlier to me at
all.  A normal bug should be fixed, yes; but it doesn't make sense to
backport all fixes for bugs found so far into a stable release.  If it's
a security issue, it generally makes sense.

In this particular case, I don't know about the impact of the problem,
and I personally don't care since we (Debian) compile
--with-system-pnglib and therefore get the update automatically.

Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)