[NTG-pdftex] cmd line arguments

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jan 6 03:02:29 CET 2006

  > sure but installation of perl (ruby. puthon) is trivial under
  > windows

Some hours ago Staszek said that TL provides Perl.  So my assumption
was wrong.

  > ah, cygwin ... i never use that (i only copied the ssh -related-
  > things to a special path); nowadays most tools are available as
  > native windows binaries

Cygwin also provides an X11 server, hence programs like xpdf work.
It's really cool.  When you start cygwin, a shell window appears.
Simply type `startx' and you get an XTerm.  You can run any X11
application then.

Before I installed cygwin I had not been aware that I can use teTeX
under Windows.  And I compiled GNU octave under cygwin without any
problems while this is impossible under SuSE because they do not
provide a Fortran compiler any more.

Is't worth a try, disk space has never been so cheap as today.

However, maybe you prefer the Windows GUI, but I'm very unhappy if I
don't have emacs and bash and have to use programs which are compiled
without libreadline.

  >> Yes, but it would be good if we could convince tex (the program)
  >> not to complain so loudly if there is an option it doesn't know.

  > sure; the problem is -as always- in compatibility but i think that
  > we should not be too afraid to change those interface aspects and
  > i always wondered why tex complained about that - it does not hurt
  > to ignore unknown options

  > (well, we can always make complaining an option itself,
  > configurable in the cnf file, off by default)

Sounds good.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25