[NTG-pdftex] pdfximage

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Aug 29 09:37:28 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 07:42:15AM +0200, Pawe?? Jackowski wrote:

> > Look at CTAN:macros/latex/contrib/oberdiek/bmpsize.pdf.
> > Here I have implemented some parsing of binary image file types.
>
> Ah, now I see what was the exact reason for \pdffiledump -) My

Yes, that was my intention.

> understanding is that those macros are supposed to be used exclusively
> with pdf(la)TeX working in DVI mode, right? If not, what is the profit
> in PDF mode?

Hans wanted to have a possibility to check images before
using \pdfximage to avoid errors on unsupported image types.
The method used in bmpsize provides a method to do so.

The other method discussed so far is \pdfcheckimage.

What about \pdfximage that doesn't abort, but print a warning
and \pdfxlastimage returns zero for an invalid image?

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>