[NTG-pdftex] pdfximage

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Aug 28 22:53:09 CEST 2006

Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> It's kind of annoying that pdftex has hard coded suffixes.
>>
>> how about something
>>
>> \pdfjpgsuffixes{jpg,jpeg,myjpg}
>> \pdfpngsuffixes{png,somepng}
>> \pdfpdfsuffixes{pdf,epdf,fdf}
>>

> but you know that the suffixes are used only as a last resort, as first
> the file headers are checked for the file type (thanks to Heiko!). So e.
> g. foo.somejpg is a legal name and would still be recognized as .png if
> it's a png file :-)

when i test with a unknown format, i get an abort and:

Error: pdftex.exe (file ./hakker1b.tif): unknown type of image

so, in order to know if a funny suffix is a valid one for pdftex, we need something

\pdfcheckimage{somefile.somesiffix}

which sets a flag, say \pdfimagecheck 0/1

otherwise there is no way to intercept errors