[NTG-pdftex] Re: error messages, lack of

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Sep 21 09:32:23 CEST 2005

Hi,

In the process of tug boat preparations, Karl and I exchanges some mails
about font problems (changes in latin modern packaging, resulting in
missing encoding files and such)

>    What kind of error messages?
>
>I just had in mind the actual errors reported by TeX, starting with "!".
>The hard part would be extracting the file/line number information, but
>even just leaving that out and reporting
>  grep \! foo.log
>would be an improvement.
>
>    about missing fonts?

i wonder if we can have a separate log for that:

jobname.flg

(flg = font log) or so, mentioning:

used fonts (tfm, vf, pfb, ...)
used map files
used enc files

all plus exact location, something:

[input file] [input line if relevant] [pdf pagenumber] [file|char]
[status] [location]

the status can be: ok, missing, etc

This then could be controlled by:

\pdffontlogfile{name}
\pdffontloglevel<number>

level=0 : no messages/file
level=1 : only problems
level=2 : all

(rough idea, but i think we should consider something like this if only
that currently it all depends on luck if you notice the missing glyph
messages in the log)