[NTG-pdftex] pdfpagebox

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Sep 16 01:42:29 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:32:41PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 04:31:18AM -0700, Thanh Han The wrote:
> >

> >>Another issue is that I am implementing a primitive
> >>requrested by Cho, to grab the BBox of an included pdf.
> >>

> >What's the purpose? The knowledge of width and height is
> >important (graphicx, pdfpages, ...). By putting \pdfximage
> >into a box these values are easily available (see pdftex.def).
> >I would be interested, in which case the exact offset must
> >be known.
> >

> there are users who want to use pdftex to produce dvi code and use
> dvipdfmx to produce the pdf; now that pdftex is the main tex engine, we
> need to address both audiences.

dvi users need to know the width and height of the graphics
that TeX can reserve the needed place.

> (btw, this feature should therefore also work when pdfoutput=0)

Ah, interesting.

> usually the numbers returned are directly passed into the special that
> dvipdfmx uses for inclusion

* dvipdfm: CTAN:dviware/dvipdfm/dvipdfm-0.13.2c.pdf
  Section "8.1 Epdf" explains the epdf special that can
  embed the first page of a pdf file, but I didn't found
  any need of bounding box information.

* dvipdfmx: CTAN:dviware/dvipdfmx/README
  There is a section "6. DVI Specials" and
  "6.2. Additions to Dvipdfm's pdf: Special",
  but unhappily both sections are empty.
  Is there a better source of information?

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>