[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Patches-438 ] \pdfsavepos in DVI mode

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Sun Oct 16 23:52:05 CEST 2005

http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=495&aid=438&group_id=106

Category: Positioning
Group: None

Initial Comment:
\pdfsavepos in DVI mode

Hello,

using \pdfsavepos in a package of mine (tabularht)
I was wondering, why \pdfsavepos is not allowed to
work in DVI mode. \pdfsavepos in PDF mode is based
on cur_h and cur_v, both coming from the DVI frontend.

The only difference I found is that the PDF format
and pdfTeX's PDF mode know about page dimensions.
Thus the directions of the axes are the same for
the PDF format and the values of \pdfsavepos
(\pdflastxpos, \pdflastypos).
  Origin:          lower left corner
  horizontal axis: values increasing from left to right
  vertical axis:   values increasing from bottom to top
  unit:            sp

The DVI case doesn't know about page dimensions, thus
I suggest using cur_h=0 and cur_v=0 as origin. It is
the left upper corner of the box that is being shipped
out.
  Origin:          left upper corner of the box
  horizontal axis: values increasing from left to right
  vertical axis:   values increasing from bottom to top
  unit:            sp

Thus the absolute values differ in both modes and I
don't see that this can be avoided. However, if the
application uses a reference point then the relative
values are exactly the same.

The attachted patch enables and implements \pdfsavepos
for the DVI mode. It also contains the patch for
bug 437 (Two \immediate cancel themselves).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>