[NTG-pdftex] MediaBox inheritable in PDF/X

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Sun Nov 20 23:47:42 CET 2005

On 2005-11-20 19:44:44 +0100, Pawel Jackowski wrote:
> Version 3 says nothing about inheritance (see quoted below). I'll try to
> get the newest PDF/X spec. However, some apps may treat inherited boxes
> different; afaik Acrobat don't display boxes if inherited from /Pages -)

I just reread the 1.6 spec (section 3.6.2):
- /MediaBox is required, and inheritable
- /CropBox is optional, and inheritable
- /BleedBox is optional, and _not_ inheritable
- /TrimBox is optional, and _not_ inheritable
- /ArtBox is optional, and _not_ inheritable

So Hans is right in specifying Trim on every page, but can
specify Media and Crop only once.

> The inclusion of the bounding boxes as specified in Portable Document
> Format Reference Manual, Version 1.3, Second Edition, is a required
> operation in the process of creating a PDF/X file. For all PDF files,
> the MediaBox is required. Additionally, each PDF/X page shall include
> either an ArtBox or TrimBox, but not both. The inclusion of a BleedBox
> is optional. If a BleedBox is present, neither the ArtBox nor the

I can imagine that PDF/X has the same requirements as linearized
PDF with regards to inheritance.

Best
    Martin
--