[NTG-pdftex] MediaBox inheritable in PDF/X

Pawel Jackowski jackos1 at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Nov 20 19:44:44 CET 2005

>>>No, /MediaBox is inheritable.

>>I am not talking about PDF. What about PDF/X?

> I don't know (I don't have the standard) and I can't test.
>
> Can somebody confirm this?

Version 3 says nothing about inheritance (see quoted below). I'll try to
get the newest PDF/X spec. However, some apps may treat inherited boxes
different; afaik Acrobat don't display boxes if inherited from /Pages -)

#### PDF/X-3:2002

"_2.9 Box usage and management_

The inclusion of the bounding boxes as specified in Portable Document
Format Reference Manual, Version 1.3, Second Edition, is a required
operation in the process of creating a PDF/X file. For all PDF files,
the MediaBox is required. Additionally, each PDF/X page shall include
either an ArtBox or TrimBox, but not both. The inclusion of a BleedBox
is optional. If a BleedBox is present, neither the ArtBox nor the
TrimBox may extend beyond the boundaries of the BleedBox.
In the case where the CropBox is present, neither the ArtBox nor the
TrimBox may extend beyond the boundaries of the CropBox.
The bounding boxes may be used by PDF/X-compliant pagination
applications to automatically position the file in a predetermined space
within a layout construct. Within some industry workflows, both the
BleedBox and TrimBox are necessary. For example, commercial,
non-newspaper printing may include large numbers of pages containing
bleed and trim information. It is important that boxes that represent
this information be included. The accurate inclusion of the BleedBox and
TrimBox will allow for the correct portion of the file to be imposed and
rendered, and appropriate automation to be applied.
NOTE: The use of TrimBox is recommended in preference to ArtBox."

--
Pawe/l Jackowski
P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl