[NTG-pdftex] Re: Optimizing the generated pdf

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Nov 17 11:59:25 CET 2005

Martin Schröder wrote:
>>It is a bit wasteful to keep those in the indirects objects table
>>for ever and onwards, but I am not sure if it is doable to flush
>>them right away. (CC ntg-pdftex)
>
> I don't think that optimizations like these are generally usefull
> as they are seldom needed and make the code more complex. When I
> look at a typical result of ConTeXt or hyperref, they seem
> unneeded.

I wasn't worried about the actual objects/pdf file size, but about
the space they take up in the indirect objects table, thereby
indirectly limiting the total page length of a PDF document. Are
there no objects that can simply be flushed to the file and then
forgotten about? Huge page runs are not that unusual in database
publishing.

Greetings,
Taco