[NTG-pdftex] Extensions: \pdf$foo or \$foo?

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Jun 30 18:27:51 CEST 2005

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>
>> Thus if we add \match, then the newsgroups are full of \match
>> isn't working if I use chess and pdflatex ... And the people
>> would remember, pdfTeX causes problems.
>

> eh .. i can imagine that they are surprised that the primitive \match
> does not work, but any package that defines its own will since it
> overloads the primitive
>
> btw, i suppose that the switch to etex also caused problems for latex then?
>
> anyhow, i have no problem with a prefix, how about:
>
> \ext (extensions) -> \extmatch

I believe this addition of a prefix is for most extensions an
unneeded complication. If something it isn't used in any of the
macro packages in
   tex/latex/*/*
nor in
   tex/context/*/*
in a recent (full) texlive installation, then i consider any
such usage to be so esoteric that it can be overruled.

If it *is* used, then a solution like Hans' sounds fine, and claiming
an extension namespace definately sounds like a good idea (but \epdf
is probably better than \ext because of xetex and aleph).

Greetings,

Taco