[NTG-pdftex] Re: Uniform and Normal Distribution Pseudo-random numbers patch

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Jun 27 16:53:12 CEST 2005

noreply at sarovar.org wrote:

> See the patch file itself or the mailing list for
> actual usage and comments.

Here is the blurb from the top of the change file:

   randoms.ch --
   This is a WEB change file for pseudo-random numbers in
   pdftex 1.30 and above.

   There are four new primitives:

   \uniformdeviate <count>
    Generates a uniformly distributed random integer value
    between 0 (inclusive) and <count> (exclusive).
    This primitive expands to a list of tokens.

   \normaldeviate
    Expands to a random integer value with a mean of 0 and a
    unit of 65536.
    This primitive expands to a list of tokens.

   \randomseed
    You can use \the\randomseed to query the current seed value,
    so you can e.g. the value to the log file.

    The initial value of the seed is derived from the system time,
    and is not more than 1,000,999,999 (this ensures that the value
    can be used with commands like \count).

   \setrandomseed <count>
    This sets the random seed to a specific value, allowing you
    to re-play sequences fo semi-randoms at a later moment.

   Most of the actual code is taken from metapost, and originally
   written by Knuth, for Metafont. Glue to make it work in TeX is
   by me. If you find an error, it is bound to be in my code,
   not Knuth's :-)

Pawel, I hope this is what you had in mind.

Taco