[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Patches-375 ] Patch EscapeAndOther

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 27 12:45:20 CEST 2005

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> Another possibility are keyword options:
>   \pdfescapehex lc {...}
>   \pdfescapehex uc {...}

using keywords sounds ok to me

> Variants:
> * short or long keywords: "lc" vs. "lowercase"
> * both "lc" and "uc" or one is the default, e.g. uppercase,
>   then just one option is needed for lowercase output.

indeed

>>\pdflchex  <number> => [0-f][0-f]...  (even number of chars)
>>\pdfuchex  <number> => [0-F][0-F]...
>

> * What happens with negative numbers?
>   * same behaviour as \romannumeral
>   * error message, invalid number

same as romannummeral

> * What happens with zero?
>   * nothing, same as \romannumeral
>   * 0
>   * 00

this one is probably best

> * The perhaps often used case 0-15 is converted to 00-0f with two
>   digits?

indeed, an even number of digits

>>\pdflcchar <number 1-26> => a-z
>>\pdfucchar <number 1-26> => A-Z
>

> That means "\pdflcchar 1" expands to "a" and "\pdfucchar 26" to "Z"?

indeed

> The limitation to numbers from 1 to 26 is not clear to me.

i have no problem with A .. Z AA..ZZ etc

\pdflcchar 27 -> AA

> A \pdflcchar <number 0-255>, using the \lccode conversion table,
> would be more general. Or even a \pdflowercase, see below.
>

>>as well as an expandable upper/lowercase (taco and i have this on the
>>agenda anyway)
>

> a) Do you mean an \uppercase and \lowercase that take a
>    token list and convert the characters in there?
> b) Easier to implement should be an uppercase/lowercase command
>    that takes a <general text>, expands it, makes a string and
>    applies uppercase/lowercase conversion.

indeed

> *) Conversion according to \uccode/\lccode?
>    Or C-locale or something else?

no locales, just uccode/lccode

(when pdftex goes unicode/opentype we can use the info in unicode tables cq. fonts)