[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Patches-375 ] Patch EscapeAndOther

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jun 27 11:49:38 CEST 2005

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:14:42AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> noreply at sarovar.org wrote:
> >Patches item #375, was opened at 2005-06-25 03:42
> >You can respond by visiting:
> >http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=495&aid=375&group_id=106
>
> why not take this opportunity to add a few more converters:
>
> how about

Regarding uppercase/lowercase:
the primitives of the patch converts to uppercase hex (uchex).
Do you prefer having pairs of commands for generating
hex output:

  \pdfescapeuchex, \pdfescapelchex
  \pdffiledumpuchex, \pdffiledumplchex

Another possibility are keyword options:
  \pdfescapehex lc {...}
  \pdfescapehex uc {...}
Variants:
* short or long keywords: "lc" vs. "lowercase"
* both "lc" and "uc" or one is the default, e.g. uppercase,
  then just one option is needed for lowercase output.

> \pdflchex  <number> => [0-f][0-f]...  (even number of chars)
> \pdfuchex  <number> => [0-F][0-F]...

* What happens with negative numbers?
  * same behaviour as \romannumeral
  * error message, invalid number
* What happens with zero?
  * nothing, same as \romannumeral
  * 0
  * 00
* The perhaps often used case 0-15 is converted to 00-0f with two
  digits?

> \pdflcchar <number 1-26> => a-z
> \pdfucchar <number 1-26> => A-Z

That means "\pdflcchar 1" expands to "a" and "\pdfucchar 26" to "Z"?
The limitation to numbers from 1 to 26 is not clear to me.
A \pdflcchar <number 0-255>, using the \lccode conversion table,
would be more general. Or even a \pdflowercase, see below.

> as well as an expandable upper/lowercase (taco and i have this on the
> agenda anyway)

a) Do you mean an \uppercase and \lowercase that take a
   token list and convert the characters in there?
b) Easier to implement should be an uppercase/lowercase command
   that takes a <general text>, expands it, makes a string and
   applies uppercase/lowercase conversion.
*) Conversion according to \uccode/\lccode?
   Or C-locale or something else?

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>