[NTG-pdftex] \random?

Pawel Jackowski jackos1 at poczta.onet.pl
Thu Jun 23 00:25:04 CEST 2005

Hi All,

a couple of months ago I was asked to implement a simple random number
generator in TeX. It is not very hard for uniform distributions, but I
couldn't find satisfactory way to make it reliable and expandable. The
problem is that all generators I know (I'm not expirienced in that
stuff) use recently generated random number to make another one. For TeX
it means we need to make an assignment.

OK, there is no many practical reasons for that (: I've found two however.
* if \pdfuniquresname is in use, one may want to make his own named
resources unique as well
* when playing i.e. with page backgrounds or other TeX-based pictures,
it might be nice to have a possibility to use random text
size/color/position.

How do you think? Taco?
--
Pawe/l Jackowski