[NTG-pdftex] 1.30.0-beta-20050615

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Wed Jun 15 20:07:00 CEST 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Martin Schröder wrote:

> src/pdftex-1.30.0-beta-20050615.zip should be on sarovar.

> pdfTeX 3.141592-1.30.0 was released on 2005-06-??

> - New primitives \leftmarginkern <box number> and \rightmarginkern <box number>
>   for specifying the margin kern at the left and right side of the horizontal

maybe: "that tell the margin kerns..." because it's read-only

>   list stored in box <box number>.
>
> - Inclusion of pngs has been greatly improved: It now does
>   - alpha channel and transparency (only if %!PDF >=1.4)
>   - 16-bit colour (only if %!PDF >=1.5); this must be enabled by setting
>     \pdfimagehicolor to 1.
>   - gamma correction; this must be enabled by setting \pdfimageapplygamma to 1.
>     The device gamma is taken from \pdfgamma. If no embedded value can be found
>     in the png image, then the value of \pdfimagegamma is used instead.

maybe we should add

    - fast direct embedding of png streams, if their structure allows this;
      the automatic fall-back is to decompress and re-compress as before.

> - The effects of font expansion can now be logged:
>   There is now a new integer variable \pdftracingfonts. It is zero by default,
>   then we get a log (with fontexpansion) like this
>   ...\tenrm t
>   ...\tenrm (+20) e
>   Without font expansion, this default should be compatible with TeX's original
>   log output.
>   If \pdftracingfonts is set to 1 (or greater), we get a more verbose log:
>   ...\xivtt (cmtt10 at 14.0pt) t
>   ...\xivtt (cmtt10+20 at 14.0pt) e
>   See also bug 304.
>
> - The primitive \pdfmovechar has been removed (bug 294)
>
> - Bugfix: empty strings are not supressed anymore (bug 335)
>
> - Bugfix: \unhboxing and character protusion didn't work well together (bug
>   292)
>
> - Bugfix: --jobname didn't work if there was no filename at all (bug 302)
>
> - Bugfix: Some problem with fonts on solaris (bug 315)
>
> - Bugfix: \pdfxform didn't work with box>255 (bug 310)

- Bugfix: Dangling font objects with non-replacable fonts (bug 311).

This also seems to be corrected; at least since then i didn't get such
dangling font objects. But i can't prove :-)

- Bugfix: cmap: unicode ???? is mapped to multiple glyphs (bug 306).

Here pdftex now reacts in a clear way (a warning?), Thanh can say what
that actually is :-) so one can consider this as closed...

> - Bugfix: protruding can lead to "This can't happen(paragraph)." (bug 292)

Bug 320: this is the colorstack stuff. Maybe one should shift it into
"feature requests", it's documented, so it's no bug.

Bug 345: typo corrected by Pawe/l?

Bug 359: ???

Bug 362: a feature, not a bug.

Regards, Hartmut