[NTG-pdftex] Version numbering

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 10 13:19:57 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:51:01PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>
> >>When will we go 2.00 ? when open type is present?
> >
> >That's the problem with Martin's proposal, I think.
> >* Never. My understanding of Martin is that we would
> >  have "2.0" rather than "2.00".
>
> that's a display question, since it's actually version 200, displayed in
> the banner as 2.0.0 and when first debugged 2.0.1
>
> >  Thus the confusion about version numbers remains.
> >* We would go to 2.0 after 1.90 (or 1.90.x or 1.9x or 1.9x.y?)^1
> >  regardless of some "main features" or "compatibility changes".
> >  We lost a semantics of the "main version number".
>
>  2.0.0 ==  2.0    ==  2 ==  200
>  2.0.1 ==                   201
>  2.0.2 ==                   202
>  2.1.0 ==  2.1              210
>
> 15.0.0 == 15.0    == 15 == 1500
> 15.0.1                  == 1501

I try to define \thepdftexversion that generates the
formatted version number:

\begingroup
  \expandafter\ifx\csname pdftexversion\endcsname\relax
    \gdef\thepdftexversion{0.?}% UNCLEAR
  \else
    \ifnum\pdftexversion<100 %
      \xdef\thepdftexversion{0.\the\pdftexversion\pdftexrevision}%
    \else
      \ifnum\pdftexversion<130 %
        \def\gobble#1{}%
        \xdef\thepdftexversion{%
          1.\expandafter\gobble\the\pdftexversion\pdftexrevision
        }%
      \else
        \ifnum\pdftexversion<200 %
          \def\gobble#1{}%
          \xdef\thepdftexversion{%
            1.\expandafter\gobble\the\pdftexversion.\number\pdftexrevision
          }% UNCLEAR
        \else
          \count0=\pdftexversion
          \divide\count0 by 100 %
          \xdef\thepdftexversion{\the\count0}%
          \multiply\count0 by -100 %
          \advance\count0 by \pdftexversion
          \edef\x{\ifnum\count0 < 10 0\fi\the\count0}%
          \def\y#1#2{#1.#2}%
          \xdef\thepdftexversion{\thepdftexversion.\expandafter\y\x}%
        \fi
      \fi
    \fi
  \fi
\endgroup

\message{ <<\thepdftexversion>> }
\end

> >  Sorry Martin, probably I have got a brain damage after
> >  reading a lot of specifications (XPath, XSchema, XQuery, ...).
> >  I cannot think without a formal grammar specification. ;-(
>
> Xquery is indeed good for brain damage (interesting that those who oppose
> tex's mix of typesetting and programming state may favor something xquery -)

It's lecture stuff that I have to learn. It was interesting to see,
how the query language evolved. Some time ago I had made a talk
about the predecessor Quilt.
  In two weeks we are dealing with XSLT.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>