[NTG-pdftex] Version numbering

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 10 12:51:01 CEST 2005

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

>>When will we go 2.00 ? when open type is present?
>
> That's the problem with Martin's proposal, I think.
> * Never. My understanding of Martin is that we would
>   have "2.0" rather than "2.00".

that's a display question, since it's actually version 200, displayed in the
banner as 2.0.0 and when first debugged 2.0.1

>   Thus the confusion about version numbers remains.
> * We would go to 2.0 after 1.90 (or 1.90.x or 1.9x or 1.9x.y?)^1
>   regardless of some "main features" or "compatibility changes".
>   We lost a semantics of the "main version number".

  2.0.0 ==  2.0    ==  2 ==  200
  2.0.1 ==                   201
  2.0.2 ==                   202
  2.1.0 ==  2.1              210

15.0.0 == 15.0    == 15 == 1500
15.0.1                  == 1501

>   Sorry Martin, probably I have got a brain damage after
>   reading a lot of specifications (XPath, XSchema, XQuery, ...).
>   I cannot think without a formal grammar specification. ;-(

Xquery is indeed good for brain damage (interesting that those who oppose tex's
mix of typesetting and programming state may favor something xquery -)