[NTG-pdftex] Version numbering

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 8 18:06:12 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:52:05AM +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

> On 2005-06-08 09:05:41 +0200, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> >   Thus I think, it is quite too late to change this interface.
>
> No change is needed; currently \pdftexrevision is a char with
> alphanums, in the future it will be a char with digits. This
> shouldn't break anything.
>
> Do we really need the information of \pdftexrevision as a number?
> It would be nice, but is it needed?

I do not mind if this is a character and thought there are some
requests to have numbers.

> > Thus we have already A, B, and C. What we really need is rather
> > a specification:
> > * data type: A, B, C are numbers (/strings), range
>
>     A \in [1..\infty]
>     B \in [0..99]
>     C in "0".."9" (currently it's "a".."z"
>
> B is only increased by 10.
>
> > * how does the version look like, formatting issues
>
> A.BB.C

There are some contradictions. Here the second B is always zero.
Taco takes the second B as patchlevel, but what is \pdftexrevision
then? Also already the tenth version forces the main version A to
be incremented.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>