[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-359 ] pdftex generates errors when it does not have to - eg \pdfinfo

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Fri Jul 22 11:10:23 CEST 2005

Bugs item #359, was opened at 2005-05-30 19:51
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=359&group_id=106

Category: None
>Group: v1.21a

Initial Comment:

The following submitted on behalf of Jonathan Fine:

pdftex generates errors when it does not have to.

This fault prevents the build of Python docs on some
platforms.

The fix may be to remove the error-generating code·

For more details, see my posting to comp.text.tex.

Google link:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/4b4842202ce88cda?hl=en>

Copy and paste
==============
There is, in my opinion, a problem with pdftex.

(This is not to say that the macros used could not be
improved.)

pdftex exits on \pdfinfo error.  TeX does not exit on
error.
==
$ pdftex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b (Web2C 7.4.5)
**\pdfoutput 0
{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}
*\pdfinfo
pdfTeX error (ext1): \pdfinfo used while \pdfoutput is
not set.
<*> \pdfinfo

No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.
==

The present semantics of \pdfinfo are confused.
For example, I _can_ use \pdfinfo and generate dvi!

I just have to be a bit sneaky.
==
$ pdftex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b (Web2C 7.4.5)
**\pdfoutput 1
{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}
*\pdfinfo {}

*\pdfoutput 0

*\shipout\hbox{}
[1]
*\end
Output written on texput.dvi (1 page, 128 bytes).
==

Here, if pdf is not being generated, pdfinfo is ignored.

Suppose the semantics of \pdfinfo were something like:
  \pdfinfo{ ... }
  Stores information that is written to the PDF file,
  if pdftex generates a PDF file.  Otherwise ignored.

Then the error that prompted this thread would not have
occurred.

Comment By: Martin Schröder (oneiros)