[NTG-pdftex] character attribute

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Jul 18 15:08:29 CEST 2005

Hi guys,

I do not have enough time right now to write a long reply, but I
wanted to mention quickly that we should not confuse character
nodes and tokens|strings|csnames.

Character nodes signify stuff that will end up typeset, and the
actual encoding does not matter anymore, so it makes little sense
to use utf-8. (besides, you need to reserve 4bytes for utf-8
anyway if you want to stick with a one-character-per-node scheme).

Why not just extend the char_node? I would propose something
along these lines:

   @d char_node=25  {that's type(), guessing the number}
   @d char_node_size=4
   @d is_char_node(#) == (type(#)=char_node)
   @d character(#) == mem[#+1].rh {the glyph code in a |char_node|}
   @d font(#) == mem[#+1].lh {the font code in a |char_node|}
   @d language==subtype {the language for this |char_node|}
   @d unicode(#) == mem[#+2].int {a unicode code point }
   @d color(#) == mem[#+3].rh {mystery pointer}
   @d special(#) == mem[#+3].lh {another mystery pointer}

This is just a rough notion, not a definitive proposal!

Greetings, Taco