[NTG-pdftex] character attribute

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Mon Jul 18 00:48:24 CEST 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Hans Hagen wrote:

> The Thanh Han wrote:
>
> > currently a character node in tex has the only attribute, ie
> > the associated font. I m wondering whether it makes  sense
> > to replace this attribute (font) by a pointer to some data
> > structure representing a set of attributes. This way we can
> > add further attributes of a character without messing up
> > around the sources. Such attributes can be: font, color,
> > location in tex sources, next bytes of a utf8 sequence etc.
> > How to you guys see it?
> >
> this is indeed a much wanted feature although i don't know what you
> mean with utf 8 here since at the char node that has already been
> reslvbed

maybe one could keep character storage in (variable length) UTF format
throughout? Actually what would happen if the control sequence names
would be stored without input conversion in the pool with their original
UTF format? The hash would still work with UTF codes. Problems are e. g.
how to replace the eqtb area with the first 256 characters? Maybe also
use there a multi-byte sequence with a "single character" attribute?

<snip>

Regards, Hartmut