[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-384 ] Cannot mark text on pdfTeX-generated PDF files with highlighter tool (yellow fluorescent marker) of Acrobat Pro 7.02 on Mac OS X

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Tue Jul 12 22:24:57 CEST 2005

Bugs item #384, was opened at 2005-07-10 11:18
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=384&group_id=106

Category: None
Group: v1.10b

Initial Comment:
pdfTeX is not fully compatible with Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.02.

Here are the facts. More at <http://www.adobeforums.com>, that goes
to <http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html> and then
click "Adobe Acrobat Mac" and then the message "Cannot mark text
with highlighter tool (yellow fluorescent marker) of Acrobat Pro 7.02 on
Mac OS X".

In short:

pdfText generates PDF files that have the following bug:

I can select and mark text on such PDF files with the highlighter tool
(sort of yellow fluorescent marker) the very first time that I open a
document. Yet, the next time in a row, it is not possible (instead the
text below is selected and yellow-marked in an erratic way. Tested with
Acrobat Pro 7.02 on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Try with this file:

http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2005-07-01/pdfs/A23458-23458.pdf

The culprit is pdfTeX, as explained in the Adobe Forum indicted above:

-----
I examined the file internally, and
it claims to have been made by pdfTeX version 3.14159-1.10b.

It also messes up other information. Creator (which should be the
name
of the software designing the page) is a filename. Author, which
should have been BOE, is blank.

To anyone who knows PDF, this sort of thing will ring alarm bells!
-----

Note: the workaround is to open the file with Adobe Acrobat Pro and
then:

Advanced>Accessibilty>Add Tags to document.

If possible, please this annoying bug so that PDF files created
withpdfTeX do not have such problem.

Thanks.

Comment By: Hans Hagen (hagen)