[NTG-pdftex] \ifprimitive and \ifinternal/\iffeature (design proposal)

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Mon Jul 4 12:30:47 CEST 2005

Hi there,

As promised, some proposals for the symbol table. No code yet,
because careful thinking is needed first, to avoid unexplainable
side-effects.

Let me propose two rather straightforward new primitives first
(please imagine the \ptex prefix yourself):

   \ifprimitive <csname>

     True if the <csname> has the same meaning as it would in initex,
     (but gives an error if <csname> is currently undefined).

   \executeprimitive <csname>

     Executes the primitive that would be known as <csname> in initex,
     even if the <csname> is currently undefined or defined to mean
     something else. Raises an error if there is no matching internal
     command (of course).

These are quite straightforward, and I do not assume this needs
much discussion. But the next ones are related to "if feature ...",
and those are bit harder to define.

I propose to make it possible to 'predefine' primitives in the
executable. All program code is completely ready, except that the
hash table entry is never created, making it impossible to use
that primitive in initex without extra work.

   \ifinternal <csname>

     True if there is code in the pdtex executable to implement the
     internal command <csname>, regardless of whether or not it is
     currently reachable from macros.

   \executeinternal <csname>

     Executes the internal that is registered as <csname>, even
     if that internal is currently obscured (disable) or the <csname>
     is defined to mean something else. Raises an error if there is
     no matching internal command.

   \exposeinternal <csname>

     This does the final step of the primitive() function: it creates
     a hash entry for <csname> that maps it to its primitive meaning.
     An error is raised if the <csname> is currently defined.
     (perhaps this primitive should accept the \global prefix?)

   \obscureinternal <csname>

     The inverse of \exposeinternal, this 'undefines' the primitive
     related to <csname>. If <csname> is currently a macro, nothing
     needs to be done. Control sequences that are \let to the meaning
     of this csname are left as is.
     (perhaps this primitive should accept the \global prefix?)

I chose \expose... and \obscure... instead of \disable... \enable
because this is closer to the truth: in this proposal it is not
possible to unconditionally disable a primitive (because that
would require much more work than this).

Side note: The pascal implementation can be rather straightforward:
a pair of shadow_hash and shadow_eqtb has to be created that contains
only the equivalents of the internal control sequences, nothing else.

WDYT?

Greetings, Taco