[NTG-pdftex] input

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 2 21:08:22 CEST 2005

  > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

  >> Hi, if you provide new primitives, it would be nice to have a
  >> switch which forces \pdfopenout to create a file with the name
  >> <filename>.
  >>
  >> It's quite annoying that `\openout\x=Makefile' creates a file
  >> `Makefile.tex'.

  > how about instead of a switch an extra:

  > \pdfopenoutfile {filename}

Hans, I meant `switch' in a more general way.

1. A command-line switch would be possible but that would determine
   the behaviour of all occurrences of \pdfopenoutfile within the
   current job.

2. Another solution would be a prefix command like \immediate.  This
   can be useful if it can be applied to some other primitives.  But
   since we need it for opening a file only, it doesn't look like a
   good solution.

3. A primitive that acts like a switch, like \pdfcompresslevel would
   be possible.

4. The best solution is certainly to add an optional argument to
   \pdfopenoutfile.  This would avoid the need for new primitives
   (which reduces the probability of name clashes).

I prefer 4., and if people need a switch (3.) then they can do that by
macro programming.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25