[NTG-pdftex] Extensions: \pdf$foo or \$foo?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jul 1 10:44:13 CEST 2005

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> existing documents can break because of added new primitives.

a small chance; such a package does not know about the primitive; the only
danger can be in:

- core latex uses a new primitive
- old package overloads overloads new primitive by macro
- core latex functionality fails

but, for new primitives

> With prefixes and reserved namespaces, document and package
> writers have the chance to avoid name clashes with future
> versions of pdfTeX. Without is asking for unnecessary trouble.

partially true, what if users have \pdf or whatever as prefix for their own
macros? as said ... etex introduced primitives that clashed with context (and
probably with other stuff around as well; \protected, \expanded,
\interactionmode, those \if's etc are all candidates; and yet, we now default to
etex as engine)

so ... there is always the danger of a clash; the best we can do is to provide a
list of new primitives in a separate file so that users can use that list to
parse all their local stuff for clashes.