[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-242 ] Assertion failure when including pdf file without embedded fonts

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 6 14:33:03 CET 2005

Hi,

> Not yet tried Akira's patch, but there is another problem (ooops they
> are piling up):
>
> Formerly one could write "!foo.pfb" in the mapfile and the font file
> would not be embedded. So it's also documented. This has silently
> changed, now one can just write "foo.pfb" to have it not embedded.
> (Writing "<foo.pfb" would embed the subset, and "<<foo.pfb" the whole
> font.)
>
> Now "!foo.pfb" will be treated by the inner pdftex workings as font with
> name "!foo.pfb" which is not found, obviously. So pdftex munges
> "!foo.pfb" and "foo.pfb" differently.

formerly both "foo.pfb" and "!foo.pfb" were possible, but they had
different meaning: "foo.pfb" means "read the font file to extract all
parameters but do not embed it" while "!foo.pfb" means "don't read
anything", and the font descriptor is not created. "!foo.pfb" only works
if the font is installed onto the system where the pdf is being viewed
-- it works more or less similarly to the 14 base fonts, except that the
14 base fonts are built into acroreader while foo.pfb must be installed
onto the system properly (which is not easy at all on unix systems).

The reason I implemented it was that I though it would speed up the time
acrobat reader loads such a document, which was important for efficient
edit-compile-view-edit cycle while pdftexing.

I think we should drop "!foo.pfb".

Thanh