[NTG-pdftex] unbuffered vs. buffered terminal output

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Dec 23 00:00:34 CET 2005

  > On 2005-12-22 10:39:06 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
  >> are chars written one by one or by line? maybe there is some
  >> intermediate way possible:
  >>
  >> - normal messages -> buffered - immediate/write16 -> flush
  >> pending messages and write unbuffered

  > And what about [1][2]? I want to see the time between [ and 1 and
  > ] :-)

Yes, it is annoying if you see nothing for a long time and then a
complete line appears.

But do not expect to see anything at all when you buy a new computer
today.  On my new machine (AMD64, 2.2 GHz) texbook.tex compiles within
0.665 seconds.  That's about 1.5 ms per page!  What do you expect to
see?

It seems to be reasonable to give up the feature you asked for and try
to get a result as fast as possible.

There is one big problem though:  What happens when TeX runs into an
endless loop?  You don't see where it happens if only complete lines
are issued.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25