[NTG-pdftex] dvipdfmx

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Thu Dec 22 22:38:19 CET 2005

"HH" == Hans Hagen writes:

 HH> - take relevant bit and pieces of aleph, esp r-l typesetting so
 HH> that pdftex+lua can replace aleph
 >> also very essential part of omega/aleph are the 16-bit fonts (or
 >> even 32-bit?).
 HH> that's where open type comes in

in my understanding it is essential to have "font 16-bitness" on the
abstract level of TeX (i.e. metric features; specific glyph
representation is very much secondary), not connected to any specific
font format like Opentype.

TeX has always been independent of physical font formats, and that is
it's strength... [and omega's 16-bit fonts are no exception]

 HH> - additional font features (beyond open type) - lua input
 HH> preprocessing (replacement for otp's)
 >>  will lua provide input processing as powerful as OTPs?
 HH> i dunno, but it will definitely be easier (and documented)

are there any preliminary considerations or descriptions of how it
will work (of course not detailed - just to understand the proposed
idea of such a replacement of OTPs)?

Best,
v.