[NTG-pdftex] margin kerning and unhboxing

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 11 09:19:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

there were some problems to make margin kerning work with
unhbox/unhcopy. After some discussions with Harmut we have come to a
solution: we shall drop margin kerns while unboxing. People who wish to
use margin kerning with unhboxing are out of luck. Sorry, but we think
it is too much work and too risky to make it work.

We also introduced a workaround: now we have 2 new primitives \leftmarginkern
and \righmarginkern, which allows access to margin kerns of a hbox.
Usage (tested):

,--------
| \newbox\testline

| \dimen0=\leftmarginkern \testline pt
| \dimen1=\rightmarginkern \testline pt
| \line{\kern\dimen0\unhcopy\testline\kern\dimen1}
`--------

this feature will be available in the next bug-fix release (should come out
soon).

Thanh