[NTG-pdftex] character protrusion with the first letter in a paragraph

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at myrealbox.com
Sun Nov 14 01:53:38 CET 2004

Hi,

I have been thinking of the question how to make char protrusion work
with the first char of a paragraph. The simplest (and quite robust)
solution can be as follows:

when considering whether a marginal kern should be inserted, we skip
certain kinds of `invisible' node (like adjust node, penalty node and
the like). Now to make it work with the first char of a par, we
also skip null boxes (box with zero dimen and empty contents) at the
left margin.

The question is whether such behaviour is ``correct'', and what surprises
it can bring in certain situations.

Thanh