[NTG-pdftex] Tiny bug: writet1.c pdftex_fail() for dvips

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Fri Nov 5 23:12:00 CET 2004

Dan Luecking wondered in comp.text.tex at Fri Nov 05 20:29:52 CET 2004:

> [By the way, does anyone know why dvips (5.94a, fptex) writes this
>  error message:
>   ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>  when making a .ps file (definitely NOT a .pdf file!). I encountered
>  it while running tests of dvips behavior on invalid .pfb files.]

File writet1.c is shared by pdftex and dvips. The pdftex_fail() function
there is only used by dvips; for pdftex it's provided by utils.c within
pdftexdir.

The wrong dvips message comes from pdftex_fail() in writet1.c. So one
should change "PDF" into "PS" there.

When i do this change, a call of dvips using a buggy .pfb file gives:

 ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PS file is not finished!

pdftex gives instead:

 ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

Regards, Hartmut