[NTG-pdftex] still probelms with inclusion

The Thanh Han The Thanh Han <hanthethanh@myrealbox.com>
Fri, 14 May 2004 14:27:02 +0700

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:50:21AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 05:21 14/05/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >that's the problem we have been discussing about which fm entry to
> >return for a given base name + slant + extent.
> >
> >I had some discussion with Hartmut, and it should be feasible to
> >implement what I suggested in my previous mail:
> >
> >> For example, we can choose which tfm should be used regard to the
> >> following checks (in descending priority):
> >>
> >> * the tfm has been used (some char from this font has been typeset)
> >> * the tfm has been loaded (but not used yet)
> >> * the tfm can be loaded (but not loaded yet)
> >> * the tfm is present in map files, but cannot be loaded. In this case a
> >>   dummy tfm can be loaded instead, and warning should be written
> >
> >if this is implemented, in your example pdftex would check for all fm entry
> >with the base name 'Palatino-Roman' and select the 'right' one instead
> >of the first one (uplr8y) as it is doing at the moment.
>
> What happens if that file is not really the same? (virtual vs original,
> special subset with name unchanged, updated metrics);
>
> is it possible to store a checksum (i assume private keys are possible in
> the font dict) and ignore matches with different checksums?

can you clarify it a bit more? I don't understand what you want to do
here. When you talk about eg Palatino-Roman, we suppose you have
somewhere on your disk a fontfile with that FontName entry inside the
font. If you have several entries with the same FontName but different
fontfile, I consider it a fatal error that should be fixed in the map
files.

Thanh