[NTG-pdftex] lookup_fontmap bahaviour [Was: [bug] crash at lookup_fontmap]

The Thanh Han The Thanh Han <hanthethanh@myrealbox.com>
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:22:46 +0700

Hi,

I found the bug. Before fixing it, I would like to discuss more about
the behaviour of lookup_fontmap().

For a given base name there may exist several map lines containing that
name. The question is which of them should be returned?

At the moment the first one with matching extent and slant is returned.
I wonder whether we can narrow this criteria to something more strict.
For example, we can choose which tfm should be used regard to the
following checks (in descending priority):

* the tfm has been used (some char from this font has been typeset)
* the tfm has been loaded (but not used yet)
* the tfm can be loaded (but not loaded yet)
* the tfm is present in map files, but cannot be loaded. In this case a
  dummy tfm can be loaded instead, and warning should be written

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanh