[NTG-pdftex] Re: easy font expansion

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha@web.de
Fri, 7 May 2004 22:58:03 +0200

    >> This also works for virtual fonts (like ptmr8t).
    > If I use hz for base 14 fonts, pdf[ex]TeX crashes.  But, if base
    > 14 fonts are embedded by changing pdftex.map like ptmr8r
    > Times-Roman "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
    > --->
    > ptmr8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <utmr8a.pfb hz
    > can be used for base 14 fonts.

This is a limitation of PDF, not pdftex.

In a pdf document you cannot change the FontMatrix as you can do in
PostScript.  Therefore pdftex has to manipulate the font itself when
it is inserted.  If you run pdffonts (from xpdf) on your pdf file
you'll see that the same font is embedded for each expansion step.

It is certainly mentioned in the pdftex manual.  If not, complain.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover	                      mailto:reinhard.kotucha@web.de