[NTG-pdftex] pdf versions and so

Hans Hagen pragma@wxs.nl
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:56:52 +0100

At 12:49 17/02/2004, The Thanh Han wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:57:10AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How about adding
> >
> >   \pdfbinary == number (0=unknown, 1=web2c, 2=miktex)
> >
> > sometimes this is handy to know
>
>I think this is not pdftex-related at all. To make it work, tex
>implementors (tetex, miktex, vtex, oztex etc.) must come up with some
>generic solution.

I think that we should not be too optimistic in getting things into good
old tex unless we start providing extensions not prefixed by \pdf ...

   \TeXbinaryversion

is ok for; we only need to register the numbers so that we don't get
clashes. Since on the next tex-live pdfetex will be the default engine for
everything, this is the chance to sort out these things. Same for

   \timehours \timeminutes \timeseconds \timemiliseconds

which return the current (more precise) time, and a few more things ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE/POD/CTS