[NTG-pdftex] encoding vectors

Hans Hagen pragma@wxs.nl
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:11:15 +0100

Hi Thanh,

>can you be please more specific? Do you use those fonts with tex, or
>they are included in some pdf figure?

with tex

>If you want to use them in the ``standard'' way, then the way to make it
>work properly is to use fontinst. Fontinst is itself complicated and
>hard to use as (plain) tex, but so far it is the most flexible way
>(IMHO) to do that.

i never use fontinst, just afm2tfm and alike (open type or ttf tools and
so) so maybe afm2tfm and ttf2tfm need to become more clever; the problem is
that some (commercial) fonts lack he f* ligatures and the softhyphen, and i
don't want to end up in either special encoding vectors (well, maybe i
should) or whatever setup is needed for fontsinst.

this brings me to a another feature request: a switch to turn off ligature
building, this is for instance needed when one is processing xml documents,
where --- means three dashes and not a ligature, i guess that you can
implement that switch with your eyes closed -)

Hans