[NTG-pdftex] encoding vectors

Hans Hagen pragma@wxs.nl
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:41:21 +0100

Hi,

I occasionally run into (commercial) fonts that have gaps in their encoding
vector. For instance, no 'sfthyphen', or no fi/fl/ffl/ffi ligatures. Of
course one can handcraft a vector, but to keep thinsg simple I wonder how
complicated it would be to have a fall back, say:

- if no sfthyphen is present, then take the hyphen
- if no fi ligature is present, output an f and i and cross your fingers
for proper font based kerning

If you look into the texnansi vector, yuo will notice that esp this
sfthyphen has resulted in either taking or not taking a slot.

Of course another option could be to patch afmtotfm to do a more rigourous
check (remove ligs that are not in the font, remap sfthyphen).

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl