[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-112 ] Message " output format initialized to" is not always right

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Dec 27 01:38:51 CET 2004

  > Bugs item #112, was opened at 2004-09-09 12:13 You can respond by
  > visiting:
  > http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=112&group_id=106

  > [...]

  > Initial Comment: The "output format initialized to DVI|PDF" is
  > issued to early, which may lead to confusing results.

Hi,
I sent this bug report because it was confusing when pdftex said

output format initialized to DVI
[...]
Output written on ....pdf

Hans Hagen suggested to simply remove this message.  The reason was
that changing the source code would have delayed the release of
TeX-Live.

But I agree with Hans that this message is not very useful.  Though
Hartmut Henkel found out where to place this message in the source
code to provide a correct result, I think it should be omitted (if
noone else complains).

Isn't it sufficient if TeX sais

   Output written on ....(dvi|pdf)  ?

Regards,