[NTG-pdftex] Re: 1.20b-rc5 writet1.c problem with HUGE fonts

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Dec 12 00:42:33 CET 2004

Hi Martin,

The problem is not that re-allocation fails, the problem is that it succeeds.
Sometimes (usually?) this means that the base memory address changes, and any
pointers that have been 'sampled' using the old address have now suddenly become
invalidated. There's no easy way to trap an 'error' in that (not in C, at least).

Hartmut's patch in all likelyhood solves the entire issue: there are
not that many 'potentially problematic' variables in writet1.c, so the
chance that he missed one is quite slim.

But: the original code is not written in a particularly stuctured manner,
so it is quite important that all patches get tested thoroughly. I've looked
at it for only one hour, and that's just not enough for me to be confident
about the patch in the general case. It works for me, though. :-)

Greetings. Taco