[NTG-pdftex] Speeding up PdfTeX

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel@gmx.de
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 00:30:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi pdfTeX fans,

this is just to announce, that there is another spare time patch for
pdfTeX on my home page, which copes with the slow-down of the program,
if files with a lot of links are to be processed.

I have built in AVL trees for quicker finding of items in the linked
object list. Yes, this is the 3rd patch of the AVL-Trilogy :-) It's
actually a minor issue, very low amount of changes in the web code. To
give you an impression about the speed gain, here are some test run
results:

                       with Patch   Original
 1000 links     44 pages    2.14s      2.61s
 2000 links     87 pages    3.42s      4.72s
 5000 links    218 pages    7.3s      18s
10000 links    435 pages   14s        63s
20000 links    870 pages   30s       208s
50000 links   2174 pages   80s      1590s

You see that the patch is only perceptible/interesting, if .tex files
are heavily linked. But this can quite easily happen, if the document is
automatically produced, e. g. from some database, and if it contains
lots of commodity links.

Anyway... The patch (AVL-Patch 3) is on my homepage. I would be glad to
know, if anybody has thought about something similar or has tried out
the patch.

Have fun!

Greetings Hartmut

Hartmut Henkel, Oftersheim, Germany