[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex] \pdfmapfile-Patch

Martin Schröder ms@artcom-gmbh.de
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:41:20 +0100

On 2003-11-09 23:22:47 +0100, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> With the patch, there are now the following options:
>
> * \pdfmapfile(mapfile.map) starts fresh map set (only at start).
>
> * \pdfmapfile(+mapfile.map) appends map, warns about duplicate entries
> and then ignores them.
>
> New:
>
> * \pdfmapfile(++mapfile.map) replaces former map line entries for all
>   matching fonts, which are not yet in use.

I remember a syntax we discussed in Bremen with + and - ...

I suggest replacing "++" with "=" -- this should also be easier
to parse.

> In principle, it should also be possible with a little work (but not
> implemented yet) to say \pdfmapfile{-mapfile.map}, which would _remove_
> all entries matching those in this file, if not already in use. Any
> application for this? Also possible (but not yet implemented) should be
> something like:
>
> \pdfmapfile{*++phvr8r Helvetica-Down "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"...}
>
> Any need for such a direct map-line registering?

I'm sure Hans or Heiko would love this as you could then generate
your font mappings via TeX programming on the fly. :-)

> You find a .tgz-file with the experimental patch (mostly diffs) at:
>
> http://www.circuitwizard.de/pdftex/patch2/pdftex-avlpatch2-20031109.tgz
>
> Small print: This is an experimental patch, in a rather early phase, and
> buggy. No warranty whatsoever! It just happens to run over the few test
> files I have here :-) Much more testing is needed. Particularily dark
> corners are extended fonts...
>
> Anyway, my current feeling is, that these AVL-trees would really help in
> quite a few corners of pdftex, to improve organization, versatility, and
> speed.
>
> Is there anybody out there who would like to help with debugging?

Hans and Heiko are the font experts.

Best regards
    Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, ms@artcom-gmbh.de
     ArtCom GmbH, Lise-Meitner-Str 5, 28359 Bremen, Germany